Sunday, June 10, 2007

An Open letter...

After Bangalore, it is the turn of Tiruvananthapuram to ire the animal lovers. The CM's office is being barged by a flood of letters/mails.

OPEN LETTER TO THE CHIEF MINISTER OF KERALA -

chiefminister@kerala.gov.in


Mr.V.S. Achuthanandan,
Chief Minister,Kerala,
Government Secretariat,
Trivandrum 695001

Dear Sir,We are shocked and outraged by the savage and inhuman manner in which your Government and municipal corporations in your State have been killing stray dogs. Particularly revolting has been the role of the Trivandrum Corporation authorities who have been killing stray dogs with wanton and apparently pre-planned, savagery. What is absolutely unpardonable, an elderly British lady, Avis Lyons, who has set up an excellent animal shelter near Trivandrum and had been sterilizing and vaccinating stray dogs, was roughed up by your policemen when she came to intercede in a completely civilized and non-violent manner.

Should municipal and police authorities in your State deny these allegations, we are prepared to counter them with live video clips showing their obnoxious conduct.We would like to point out to you in this context that Article 51A(g) of the Constitution of India states that it shall be the fundamental duty of every citizen of India "to protect and improve the natural environment including forests, lakes, rivers and wild life and have compassion for living creatures".

We, the undersigned, therefore, strongly urge upon you to take immediate steps to stop the killing of stray dogs, revert to the earlier practice of implementing Animal Birth Control (Dog) Rules 2001 and provide exemplary punishment to those guilty of roughing up Ms Lyons and inflicting unspeakable cruelty to innocent stray dogs, many of whom had been neutered and vaccinated against rabies.Hoping for immediate action

Yours sincerely

We had been reading that a number of children had been fatally mauled by dogs in Bangalore. However, my thought on this is, is sending the dog to the pound, the only solution to tackle this menace?



2 comments:

Balaji S Rajan said...

Rama,

I have felt irritated many times when I used to jog in the early mornings in Chennai. It was always a mystery whether the dog will chase me or not. Though I have never been bitten by stray dogs, I have relatives and friends bitten by them.

One good thing is the Government has thought about it. But I think the animals should not be killed. Though I am of the opinion not to allow the stray dogs multiplying, something should be done to maintain the existing stray dogs at home.

Just on the lighter side few ideas:

1) Probably a star actor tells some punch dialogues and raises few stray dogs in the story/character. His fans may get attracted and have adopt them.

2) If the Government announces extra five kilos of rice in ration, for those having stray dogs well maintained inside their house, all may try to have a stray dog inside their house.

3) Government brings some quota system (admission to LKG) if they have stray dogs.

4) Government gives loan for those who have adopted stray dogs.

5) If an actress announces 'Girls like boys who have stray dogs in their houses'. Probably all the boys may go behind stray dogs and take them home to grow them as pet.

LOL... many more like this. Please take it on the lighter side.

Rama said...

LOL :) Good ones :) Waiting to know "the many more"...

I have had some experiences with dogs. I always feel they are better off at a distance than at home. Stray or whatever breed.

I was bitten by our neighbour's dog (not a stray) when I was very small which has ensured I am off dogs for life

One incident which sends cold shivers down my spine is when I was in Class 9, I had this parade in NCC for which I had to leave home at around 5.30 AM. Hardly anyone on the streets.. I was in the NCC dress (khakhi) and the boots making a noise as I walked to the bus stop. This dog was barking and following me and I started walking faster and it too followed me for sometime and then it came a little too close to my leg, i automatically lifted my leg and hit the dog with my boot, pure reflex action and the dog just fell down. Not sure if it survived. Hooo, that was one experience I will never forget all my life.
Yeah, something has to be done about strays surely...