Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Roads and Lanes

I enjoy driving, though of late driving on Bangalore roads can really drive you up the wall. Still with my music on, that is an hour and a half of time I spend with myself, listening to music most of the time and generally relaxing, not minding the unending traffic snarls or the incessant honking by fellow motorists.

Many roads in Bangalore are changed from two way to one way overnight and it sometimes becomes a little difficult to keep tab of that. I have had an experience, quite nightmarish of entering a lane which was two way till the previous evening and which had overnight become one way (the lane which connects Cunningham Road and Ali Askar Road, parallel to Millers Road), I had a tough time coming out of that lane. Driving on the Outer Ring Road used to be a pleasant experience always but the past couple of years with that bustling with activity, it is traffic jams galore.

I always tell people that if you can drive in India, you can drive anywhere in the world. Am I right in thinking so?

I read this which was written by Ross Koeser, who is the Executive Director of ICPHSO.

I am in England with my wife visiting our daughter and her family – husband Andy, a pilot in the US Air Force and two young daughters. I rented a car because I wanted to see the English countryside. Most of you readers are international travelers and have rented cars in the UK and survived. But, I was not prepared for the shock of riding on the left side of the road, shifting with the left hand, round-abouts (always look right), narrower than narrow roads, and trucks traveling at 60 mph missing you by 9-½” and never slowing down. In addition, I rented one of those GPS travel guide systems where “Stephanie” supposedly guides you effortlessly during your travels – NOT. Now I’m sure some systems are better than others, but I would say that our “Stephanie” did not graduate at the top of her class. For example, she says “turn left” – I turn left; after ¼ mile I hear, “at first opportunity – turn around”. What did I do wrong? – I turn around and after another ¼ mile I hear at first opportunity – turn around”. OK, get the map out and strangle Stephanie.

I now more than ever understand the meaning of safety, because I never felt safe. Somehow I managed to not have an accident in 5 days, although many a British driver increased their curse word vocabulary over my driving.

Do not ever underestimate the power of prayer.


The first time I saw traffic on the right side was when my flight was about to land in Dubai. It seemed odd to see traffic on the "wrong side" of the road. One experience I have had was when I was in New York and waiting for a bus. This was a "One Way" and so I walked upto a point where there indeed was a post marking a bus stop. I stood there and was watching the bus come, but it stopped on the other side and went away while I stood on the opposite side. Only then did I foolishly realize that, I should have stood on the right side and here I was standing on the left.

2 comments:

Balaji S Rajan said...

Rama,

I have heard this from a lot of people. Practically I have suffered. Indian driving will not help driving anywhere. The reason is we always need to be tensed since anyone could come from anywhere. But it is not so here. So, the fear which we have while driving in India, still persists and people here laugh for slowing down, since every thing is disciplined and you need to be quick and driving slowly with hesitation is again another hazard for others. I struggled to get that Indian traffic sense from my mind.

Rama said...

Balaji,

I do totally agree with you with regard to the tension. I did experience the tension a couple of time the past few days when a few two wheelers just shot out of a lane onto my path and I had to practically stand on my brakes to grind the car to a halt. I can imagine how it will be to drive there with this kind of experiences. Thanks a ton